Tattoos serve many different purposes. Remembrance of loved ones, daily reminders, self-expression, body art, etc. But have you ever thought of tattoos as makeup?
According to the society of permanent cosmetic professionals, a cosmetic tattoo refers to ”Tattooing the appearance of traditional cosmetic eyebrows, eyeliner, and lip color among other associated services.” While there is no clear history of the rise of this trend, it has its obvious benefits:
- Scar and blemish cover-up
- Those with active lifestyles can avoid reapplying throughout the day
- You can save time in the mornings getting ready
- Save money in the long run with a one-time payment over years of purchasing products
- The perfect eyeliner and eyebrow shape everyday
Seems like a win-win-win situation, right? However, because the procedure is the same as any other tattoo, the same considerations should be made when weighing the pros and cons:
- Assess whether or not you are ready for the permanent change
- Consult a professional about whether or not a tattoo in sensitive areas like the face would be right for you
- Makeup trends might not be the best (Ie, green eyeliner or a specific lip shade) - we suggest getting a more neutral base line and building on top with regular, store-bought solutions
- Do your research and choose a tattoo artist you trust
- Establish a post-care routine that will keep your skin healthy
Permanent makeup or cosmetic tattoos have some serious benefits. From more natural looks to eyeliner wings that never smudge, it provides a time saving, consistent option for countless people. If you choose to get one, make sure to do it safely, choose a timeless look, and consult a permanent cosmetics professional.